Cleaning the air and enhancing the décor of a room aren’t the only things that plants have to offer. We are all aware of the positive influence that plants have on our mental and emotional well-being . Some of us, we say, have ‘green thumbs’- they have the gift of keeping plants alive and there is the rest of us with ‘brown or black thumbs’ who, no matter how much care and research we put to it, almost always fail at keeping our plants alive.
Whereas the survival of any plant cannot be guaranteed, especially here in Dubai, it has a better chance of staying alive if the environment suits its requirements. Ever wondered why your friend’s plant is doing well while the same plant at your house is dead? It may have nothing to do with you or your colored thumb.
Apart from lighting and water, here in the desert, the performance of an indoor plant depends a lot on the amount of time that it spends in an air-conditioned environment. With the temperature soaring above 45°C in summer, we are at the mercy of the AC and so are our plants. Therefore it becomes all the more important to pick up plants that can quickly adapt itself to any climate. Often it feels that the prettiest plants are the most demanding and rarely makes it. For those of us who cannot vow to give special treatment to plants, we need to choose the best plants that can adjust with us without much hassle. They may not look as grand or pretty but such plants do exist.
Here is my list of 15 best indoor plants for the UAE: The below plants aren’t fussy about the lighting in the house, they don’t require daily watering and they are super adaptable to the temperature inside the house and most importantly they clean the stale air. Give them a couple of weeks and they will learn to take care of themselves and their humans.
- Peace Lily/ Spathiphyllum
- Aloe Vera
- Snake Plant/ Mother-in-law’s Tongue/ Sansevieria Trifasciata
- Pothos/ Devil’s Ivy/ Epipremnum Aureum
- Chinese Evergreen/ Aglaonema Crispum
- Zee Zee Plant/ Welcome Plant/ Zamioculcas Zamiifolia
7. Kentia Palm/ Howea Forsteriana
8. Areca Palm tree /Chrysalidocarpus lutescens
- Spider Plant/ ChlorophytumCorn Plant/ Dracaena Massangeana
10. Heartleaf Philodendron/ Philodendron Scandens
- Bamboo/ Poaceae Bambusoideae
12. Weeping Fig/ Ficus Benjamina
- Dwarf Umbrella Tree/ Schefflera arboricola
- Elephant Ears/ African Mask Plant/ Alocasia Polly
- Corn Plant/ Dracaena Massangeana